Thursday, August 14, 2014

MixShop

Aug 14

I am now building another Prusa Mendel, this time with a DYI hardware package from MixShop. I had ordered it July 1 and it arrived Aug 12 (6 weeks) ... 3 weeks longer than what they had advertised. I had contacted them about the delay and, to be fair, they did have a delay of a shipment at Customs for 3 days. This time I have photos of the received package (below).

As opposed to the Ecksbot that I built, I only ordered the hardware from MixShop rather than the complete package (since I already I have a 3D printer I printed off the plastic parts, some of which you can see here:

I wanted to build another Mendel so that I can see the differences between companies in the build and operation. I have just started on the main frame and I will include a picture when it is complete. I must note that it was nice to be able to print off the parts as I needed them (the raison d'ĂȘtre of Reprap). The MixShop online instruction manual for this printer is a vast improvement over that offered by Eckertech and their use of a forum. The manual is much easier to navigate, step by step with clear, helpful pictures and exact instructions (as opposed to Eckertech who leave out steps, or assumes knowledge that the builder does not have, as well as haphazard menu system). 

Printing of the plastic parts was straight forward except for the U-shaped clamp which, being a small part, tended to move half way through the print. After trying several different attempts, I solved this issue through the use of hairspray and the print was then successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment